5.09.2009

To Orson Welles

To George Welles, who fell before he was born I write,
We barely missed a chance to know one another,
But there was never a chance. I should be
As free as you,
I think sadly that I very well may be exactly.
And you were too. As free as you were. You had to know that
"Power" is only temporary, but your freedom remains.


Who sings your name now? But how many times they sing. Whenever they sing, you twist, you twist their song. Who could have given you enough money to make your masterpiece?

I am not you... you, the man of great artistry.
You are so full-chested
In all your roles
Oh evenheaded
Dead or alive
So uneven

Not always the best final products but ever the instinct,
Inventing in order to tell.
Don't fuck with my editing. You fuck with my editing,
and you are a douchebag without a name who makes me look like you, Hollywood.

You have taught me nothing
I could not have learned from any of the great films
Following yours, American Mercury.
An American hungarian...
a Frenchman!
And an painter in Ireland, supporting yourself
Leaving paintings in the houses where you stayed...

Cut off by your drinking and, of course, your gen... and, absolutely, by Hollywood. Was it wrong for RKO to give so much to one man?
Did he do wrong to his office by accepting? Did he not succeed?

Your subsequent failures are your greatest credits.
All in images.

(I wish that Hollywood had been better to you)

I like Mr. Arkadin, the film itself (images, baby!)
The lead actor's a bit of a bore.

Always a fan, loved the wine commercial.

Keep in touch,

TCA

No comments: