11.14.2007

More than Reason

Read instructions before proceeding...with anything.

I just read a very difficult to read chapter on Othello and Shylock, comparing them as politico-theological enemy figures. Supposedly it prepared me to write a paper on Othello, but turns out the list of texts I can use does not include the incredibly dense essay I just stumbled through.

Anyway, I understand the body politic in a different way now. And I see that politics are just former theologies, secularized through the course of history up to now, when Church and State shall be thought separate by many. Similarly, secular education derives from the establishment of religious institutions of learning. Education and the State are separate as well, no matter what money tells you. Education is only ever one with the people, and how much they buy into learning.

No comments: